WASHINGTON COUNTY RETIRED EDUCATIONAL PERSONNEL ASSOCIATION
These Articles of Association of the Washington County Retired Educational Personnel Association, adopted this day and date here in below written
I. NAME. The name of the Association (hereinafter called "the Association") is:
Washington County Retired Educational Personnel Association.
II. PURPOSE. The purposes for which the Association is formed:
A. To engage in social contact, commingling and fellowship among
members of the Association and their guests and to engage in social activities for pleasure,
recreation and other non-profitable purposes.
B. To award scholarship(s) to graduates of Washington County, Maryland
public high schools upon such criteria as may, from time to time, be established by the
C. To do or perform any act or activity in order to carry the purposes set
forth here in above, provided that such act or activity is permitted by an association exempt
from Federal income tax under Section 501 (c) (7) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as
amended from time to time, or the corresponding provision of any future United States
Internal Revenue Law.
III. MEMBERS. Membership in the Association shall be limited to retired educational personnel of Washington County Maryland and others, as provided in the Constitution and Bylaws of the Association. However, no person may be excluded from membership on the basis of race, color or religion.
IV. ADDRESS. The address of the Association shall be the home address of the Secretary of the Association.
V. OFFICERS. The officers of the Association shall be as follows until their successors are duly elected and installed as set forth in the Constitution and Bylaws of the Association:
1. Co-President: Leon C. Brumback
2. Co-President: Carolyn Sebum
3. Secretary: Mary Jo Ashburn
4. Treasurer: Shirley Swartz
VI. LIMITATIONS ON POWERS OF ASSOCIATION.
1. No part of the income of the Association shall inure to the benefit of any member, trustee, director or officer of the Association, or any private individual (except that reasonable compensation may be paid for services rendered to or for the Association affecting one or more or its purposes); and no member, director, trustee or officer of the Association or any private individual shall be entitled to share in the distribution of the
2. The Association shall distribute its income for each taxable year at such time and in such manner as not to subject it to tax under Section 4942 of the Internal Revenue Code of1986 as amended, and the Association shall not:
a. Engage in any act of self-dealing as defined in Section 4941(c) of the Code;
b. Retain any excess business holdings as defined in Section 4943(c) of the Code;
c. Make any investments in such manner as to subject the Association to tax under
Section 4944 of the Code; or
d. Make any taxable expenditures as defined in Section 4945(d) of the Code.
3. No part of the activities of the Association shall be carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, or participating in, or intervening in (including the publication or distribution of
statements), any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office.
4. In the event of dissolution, all of the remaining assets and property of the Association shall, after necessary expenses, be distributed IN TRUST to The Washington County (Maryland) Board of Education (BOE), to be placed by the BOE into a certificate or certificates of deposit, all of the interest from which shall be distributed annually in equal shares to Washington County (Maryland) high schools under the jurisdiction the BOE, to be used by each respective high school to award a scholarship each year to a graduating student from that high school, to be named the "Nellie and Lake Lytton Scholarship" at each high school, or, if said BOE shall not qualify as tax exempt under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, of shall decline to accept said distribution, then to such other organization or organizations as shall qualify under Section 501 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, for the trust purposes herein stated.
VII. The Association is organized under the laws of State of Maryland.
VIII. The Association is organized upon a certificate of membership basis, as set forth in the Constitution and
By-laws of the Association. Memberships shall be non-redeemable, non-transferable and non-dividend-bearing. Membership shall be limited as set forth in the By-laws of the Association but no discrimination based upon race, color or religion shall be permitted.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned have caused this Articles of
Organization to be executed this 14th day of May, 2007.
Signed by: Leon C. Brumback, Co-President Carolyn J. Seburn, Co-President
Mary Jo Ashburn, Secretary Kara M. Witmer, Notary Public